Restaurant Friday: Where Did You Have Brunch? - 'L'Avenue', Montreal

by - Thursday, February 20, 2014



"Where did you have brunch?", was a question I heard quite often during my stay in NYC. I got used to it quite fast, I'd say. Sunday was my brunch-day and no matter what would happen - no major hangover, no natural catastrophe - nothing could keep me from having my sunday brunch. So
couldn't the terrible cold in Montreal during my stay in November. I already talked about that >> here.


I still have to think about the brunchin' madness in New York now and then, where you have to wait for around 30-45 minutes in almost every nice restaurant to get a seat. It is most of the time definitely worth it, but you shouldn't be too hungry when arriving at your place of choice. I really enjoyed brunch every time, no matter where I went - I guess, I was quite lucky with my choice of places. This is something, among a hundred other things, which I terribly miss about the city, but I am trying to keep up the Sunday noon tradition..no matter where I am. Thus, if I don't find a nice cafe or restaurant for my end-of-the-week-enjoyment, there is always my kitchen, where I can prepare the craziest stuff myself. You'll know what I am talking about when you read this Sunday's post - be curious! ;)




Before we arrived in Montreal, my lovely french roommate already looked for some nice places to go to. I was more than happy to have a food-destination after our 10-hour bus drive. The brunch at 'L'avenue' was a perfect start into the long weekend and couldn't have been better.

Type of Place: A non-conventional place with a lot of dishes served for brunch, lunch or dinner. It is really nice because there is not one category you can put this place in. In one half of the restaurant the brick walls are covered with graffiti, the other part is very classy with big silver mirrors and kind of posh tables and seats. Even the toilets are decorated with paintings in a black light atmosphere. Waiters are very attentive and kind. They even exchanged our coffee, because of some misunderstanding.

Food: Apparently everyone at this place is craving for the eggs benedict, which taste absolutely phenomenal. My choice was the peak of culinary perversion, though; an english muffin. On that english muffin there was ham, cheese and a poached egg. On top: sauce hollandaise. If you think 'wow, that's heavy'..no, no. The whole thing was basically soaked with maple syrup and that was just amazing. I loved the taste of sweet and salty here and the consistence of everything. Coffee is very good, too and with every brunch dish you order you get a fresh fruit skewer. Be prepared to roll out of that place when you're done.

Prices: A dish for brunch plus coffee is about C$15 per person.

Location922 Avenue du Mont-Royal Est, Montréal, H2J 1X1, Canada














You May Also Like

0 comments